All times are UTC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:12 pm 
ULK

GTA V multiplayer

With the royal fiasco of GTA IV, how did Rockstar spend the next half decade redeeming themselves ?

ULK Since 2003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 10:13 pm 
ULK

When GTA V was about to come out and they annouced they didn't want to release the multiplayer, to not "ruin the singleplayer experience". Everyone's first thought was, great, they messed up - again.

Paranoia and pessimism, right.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/rockstar-w ... es-6415228

Which of course raises the question, do they know what they are doing, at all ?

Here is what we heard about the multiplayer so far:

* Max 16 players
* Gameplay is to be loaded and agreed to in instanced lobbies
* You can't just play - not that free roam ever was the strength of gta
* Outside that streets are near empty, no peds and very few cars
* Autoaim cannot be disabled in deathmatch (rumored)
* Leveling system;
* Which is laughable with the controls of cars now being arcade;
* New formula was added to let cars no longer end up upside down
* Less car damage
* Built especially for multiplayer since the average difficulty was TOO HIGH
for console users
* Controls are still slow, awkward and unresponsive;
* Cover system forced upon players
* Getting hit by a car at any speed still results in a knockdown
* Cars now slide drive looking like south park, especially bikes
* "Micro transactions", basically meaning you buy pixels for real life cash:
http://www.gamespot.com/news/rockstar-d ... ns-6415267

* PAUSING now added; if you don't want to get shot you
can go into carebear mode, at which point no amount of bullets
can hit you. You can unpause by shooting a guy in the back
after he sees you paused, gg.
* Changing weapons is done through a menu that will cover
you screen during combat

On the upside of all that, we know the good old hocky mask is in GTA V.

ULK Since 2003

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2013 11:46 pm 
ULK

The main problem of course being the controls.

Having been a long time PC player and having played Vice City and other twitch shooters, the reaction time and speed of characters with this engine is by far the most crucial aspect.

To me ruining the controls is all about trying to validate the covering system.

If you could move fast enough to actually dodge anything, would you ever use it ?

First, the more vulnerable and pathetic your character feels, the more forced into using the covering system you are.
Emphasized by getting hit by a car at any speed is a knockdown.
And second, console users won't have problems hitting targets that can hardly move - not that they don't already have autoaim, which again works as incentive to use the cover system. Of course at the expense of all movement.

One of the many beautiful things about Vice City is it will respond to max speed you are able to play at.
In fact I think most of us never archived our maximum speed yet as Vice City allows us to continue to try and be faster.

What it boils down to is control and autonomy or indepency on the user's end - in oppose to a game that asks less of you and where your physical ability is actually decreasing and degrading.

When you dumb a game down and make it easier you are also dumbing down the user and killing his potential.

But also many smaller details that just makes sense from a reaction time standpoint are missing in GTA V.
In Vice, if you are fast enough to hit jump just before getting hit by a car, it's not a knockdown, though the car hit you dead on.
Odd maybe, but in terms of gameplay it is a fair but also very productive feature. Because you now get the incentive to manually perform and increase your awareness and reaction time.

I don't want a game where I depend on AI to interpret what my intentions are, I want to do it myself, manually, because frankly AI remains one of the biggest problems in gaming to this day. And, I am faster than that.
Ooops, the AI thought you wanted to duck behind the other wall, the one that happened to put you out in the open, too bad you can't break the animations.
Same old problem from day 1.

And you know what, even off on some wild fantasy, there were a perfect AI, it would still be an insult. We don't need AI to take cover for us.

I'd like to control my character myself, thank you.

We know that from the time you see something, is able to send impulses from your brain and then click something, 1/3 of a second, or 0.300, would be considered "slow" or above average.

What does that mean ? It means even an old man is for a fact able to respond and react to 3 things during the time of 1 second.

Think about that for a moment, a SLOW person, can see, interpret and react to something 3 times a second.

Meaning, we actually litterly have a concrete number, a measurable scale at which we know here is something moving too fast for us, here is something demanding, here is something easy etc.
But, we also know there is a plasticity to mostly everything you do. If you talk a lot your vocabulary becomes more fluent, you will find the right words faster.
If you do pushups everyday they will get easier and if you play a game that requires fast reaction time, you will become faster.

You become what you do.

Putting those 2 together you have to ask the question what is the point of a game that responds way slower than you do ?

Outside the obvious destruction of fun, it's more serious and problematic than that; not being able to move when you want, you are actually training downwards - you are degenerating your speed, your perception, your cognition and reaction time.

You are teaching your brain it doesn't have to perform.

Test all of ULK and I promise the majority will have a reaction time below the average of 0.215.
Why ? Because Vice City reacts instantly so you are playing another guy's reflexes and reaction time, not the 3 second delayed AI animation of GTA IV and V.

In that struggle to win the fight you are telling your brain "we have to react faster" and so it actually does.
Beauty of that is, reflexes are generalized. So it doesn't matter you trained them in front of a PC shooting pixels. If it's a cup falling from a table, car driving out in front of you or anything with a moving object, or the sensation of change in motion, you will perceive and react faster.

To me it's fundamental that a game has to react in "real time" and especially in a game that is about fighting. I can't be free and creative if I have to wait for the game to catch up to me. Then I am playing below my level.

We've been testing our speed, reaction time and co-ordination against other people for 10 years, take that away and there is no game anymore, it's no longer pvp.

And as far as catering to untrained console kids and girls who can't turn around a corner without ramming everything, sure enough it makes sense.
I don't think they should be in there fighting us, it would break the game for them. Who can blame them or even say antyhing remotely negative about the gameplay when they making billions ?

GTA V is sadly the most disappointing GTA yet for us actual gamers and getting worse.

Although not to be taken as personal insult as GTA V has flopped in just about all areas including radio stations, story, features, optimization, stability etc.

ULK Since 2003

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2013 7:09 am 
ULK

Quote:
HeAD, March 16, 2010, 07:48:45 AM ยป

lol...

they have to make "new" features somehow, after all... to the console kiddies, aiming your gun manually in GTA was trash...re-cycling is the cool thing to do now, so why not? also you can't forget about the consoles slowly becoming watered-down PCs theme.

then, all the people responsible for game reviews, they sugar-coat and hype as much as they can get away with. if they were honest and critical of the game development industry, they might not be the review site or magazine that gets to demo or preview the new game months before the release date, if you know what I'm saying... (all pre-release leaks, reviews and sneak peaks are advertisements, magazine gets exclusive review, game dev's get free press and hype)

anyway, the cover button shit is for nub faggots. I can stand behind a box or trash can all by myself FFS.
I'll ask for a damn function key when I want to crawl inside it and sneak around like Solid Snake... or pick it up and bash someone in the face with it like the old 2d sidescroll brawler games.

ULK Since 2003

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2013 8:24 am 

Can I post here? Probably not, but I just created the account to post here. I dont agree with a few things here, auto aim can be disabled permanently, when I was playing I was without auto aim and it was hard sometimes (at the pseudo-survival maps). Controls are responding WELL on xbox, there is also armwrestling where you can pull your something out from your pad. Biggest problem is logging on to Online, and sometimes your character doesnt save. And also, the police - 2 star is like 5 stars.. Helicopters keep on respawning, you just cant escape on foot. And - crews. When you want to do a mission with 2 teams, you are NOT getting placed with your teammates.. Also, you do a mission with someone you dont know, then when you get the money in the bank, he kills you and takes your money. Except that, its good. Except that a poor house to rent costs 80 thousand. Wow. And micro transactions. thats it.

and singleplayer sucks too, they focused more on online, wow, bravo rockstar!